Counselling for Couples & Marriage Counselling
Together we can explore what is happening in your relationship. I offer a safe space where both of you can feel listened to and valued.
Many couples go through difficult or confusing phases in their relationships and the support partners find in each other is often enough to deal together with life ups and downs.
Couples therapy can be helpful if there is a prolonged relationship distress or sudden, tough news to cope with as a couple. Below are some examples when couples come to me for counselling:
- communication breakdown, frequent arguments
- blaming and criticism
- sense of isolation and hurt feelings
- withdrawing, stonewalling or distancing
- issues with intimacy and sex
- affairs and betrayal of trust
- fertility issues
- adjusting to the birth of a baby
- cross-cultural relationships.
I am one of only sixteen Certified Emotionally Focused Couples Therapists in the UK and a BACP Accredited Counsellor and Psychotherapist. Emotionally Focused Therapy is a brief, integrative model of therapy, that focuses on the emotional connection between partners or spouses by de-escalating the conflict, creating a safe emotional connection and strengthening bonds between partners.
My aim is to make our sessions a safe, constructive and collaborative process for you and your partner.
How long will couples therapy last?
Generally, people are in therapy for 6 to 12 months. There are many factors that can impact this time frame, such as: a commitment to the relationship, desire to heal, frequency of therapy sessions and past trauma in the relationship. Certain factors can decrease or increase the time you are in therapy. Please note, recovering from an affair or when there are prolonged relationship difficulties is a complex process and usually takes at least 1 year with both partners fully committed to work on the relationship.
As a couples therapist, I do not take sides or offer ready-made solutions to your situation. Instead, the sessions can provide you with an opportunity to:
- address stuck patterns and negative cycles in your relationship
- make sense of your own emotions and those of your partner
- learn more about your own and your partner’s inner world and emotional needs
- develop deeper understanding, closeness and safety in the relationship.
To read more about the process and aim of couples counselling with me click here to read a brief guide or click here to watch a short clip. Since doing my training in EMDR, I can now weave this treatment into couples therapy whenever it may be helpful.