Counselling for Couples & Marriage Counselling
Together we can explore what is happening in your relationship. I offer a safe space where both of you can feel listened to and valued.
Many couples go through difficult or confusing phases in their relationships and the support partners find in each other is often enough to deal together with life ups and downs.
Couples counselling can be helpful if there is a prolonged relationship distress or sudden, tough news to cope with as a couple. Below are some examples when couples come to me for counselling:
- communication breakdown, frequent arguments
- blaming and criticism
- sense of isolation and hurt feelings
- withdrawing, stonewalling or distancing
- issues with intimacy and sex
- affairs and betrayal of trust
- discerning separation or navigating divorce
- fertility issues
- adjusting to the birth of a baby
- cross-cultural relationships.
I am one of only thirteen Certified Emotionally Focused Couples Therapists in the UK and a BACP Accredited Counsellor and Psychotherapist. Research studies find that after 12-20 sessions of EFT (Emotionally Focused Therapy), 70-75% of couples move from distress to recovery, and 90% of couples show significant improvement. EFT model focuses on the emotional connection between partners or spouses by de-escalating the conflict, creating a safe emotional connection and strengthening bonds between partners. My aim is to make our sessions a safe, constructive and collaborative process for you and your partner.
As a couples counsellor, I do not take sides or offer ready-made solutions to your situation. Instead, the sessions can provide you with an opportunity to:
- address stuck patterns and negative cycles in your relationship
- make sense of your own emotions and those of your partner
- learn more about your own and your partner’s inner world and emotional needs
- develop deeper understanding, closeness and safety in the relationship.
To read more about the process and aim of couples counselling with me click here to read a brief guide or click here to watch a short clip.